Mother’s Day celebration is held all around the world, but the dates and traditions vary by country and culture. It’s a time to give gifts, cards, and chocolates. Around the world however, Mother’s Day celebrations can look a little different!
In Canada and the US, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May. In the USA, Mother’s Day goes back to 1908 when Anna Jarvis conceived of a day to honor the sacrifices that mothers made for their kids. Mothers take the day off household work and kids cook them large, elaborate dinners or take them out for lunch to their favorite places. Carnations are the official Mother’s Day flowers in the USA.
Mother’s Day In Norway, it falls on the second Sunday of February which is the earliest Mother’s Day celebration in the calendar year.
Mother’s Day Celebration
In Sweden, Mother’s Day celebrations date back to 1919, when the writer Cecilia Bååth-Holmberg took the initiative to propose an annual day celebrating mothers. Her proposal was successful, and a brochure was released sharing guidance on how to celebrate the special day, known as Mors Dag. Suggestions were aimed at children and husbands and included greeting mother in the morning with a song, taking on all household chores to give mother a rest, and holding a small ceremony in the evening to say a heartfelt ‘thank you’.
In Montenegro and Serbia, it is celebrated in late December which are the last countries to honor mothers in the calendar year.
In Mexico, flowers are a big part of Mother’s Day and children usually make it a priority to be in the home on Mother’s Day Eve. On the morning of May 10, mothers are often serenaded by a mariachi band with the song “Las Mananitas”.
In Peru, Mother’s Day is quite a tradition. Instead of just one day, it is celebrated for a week here. Families organize dinners
In India, they’ve made it into a whole ten-day event.
Mother’s Day, or Dia Das Mães, is a big deal in Brazil. In fact, it’s considered the second biggest holiday after Christmas! Taking place in May each year, the day consists of a huge multi-generational celebration involving mothers, grandmothers, aunts and sisters. With Brazil well known for its colorful carnivals and parties, a big family barbecue is a popular way to mark this special day! Grilled meats, vibrant salads, vegetables, rice, and beans are all likely to be served at a Brazilian Mother’s Day barbecue, with Brigadeiro (Brazilian Fudge Balls) for dessert.
Mother’s Day Celebration
Mother’s Day Celebration in Thailand is an incredibly special occasion with a fascinating history. Starting in 1950, on the 15th of April. In 1976 however, it moved to the 12th of August to commemorate the birthday of Queen Sirikit, the Queen Mother of Thailand. Mother’s Day is a national holiday in Thailand. To celebrate, people adorn their houses and places of work with colorful lights, decorations, and portraits of the Queen Mother. Another important element of Mother’s Day is giving thanks to the country’s Buddhist monks. Ceremonies are held at the start of the day and locals give offerings of food and other small gifts. A traditional gift is jasmine – a beautiful flower that is seen as a symbol of purity and gentleness and is associated with motherhood.
Can’t decide what to give Mom for Mother’s Day this year? When in doubt, wear your heart on your sleeve! Heart-shaped food is a great way to show someone you love them!
Lemon Shortbread Cookies
- 2 lemons
- 4 oz sugar
- 8 oz unsalted butter, chilled, cut into pieces
- 12 oz all-purpose flour, plus extra to dust
- ¼ tsp salt.
- 9 oz confectioners sugar
- 2 – 4 drops food coloring, pink, to taste
Make the dough, cut the shapes and decorate
Consider making your dough and icing using the original all-in-one kitchen appliance (see below) that makes accomplishing more possible.
- With a vegetable peeler, thinly peel zest from 1 lemon, avoiding the white pith and set peel aside. Cut both lemons in half, squeeze the juice from the lemons into a small bowl and set aside until needed.
- Place reserved lemon peel and sugar into mixing bowl and grate 20 sec/speed 10. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and grate a further 10 sec/speed 9.
- Add butter and mix 30 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula.
- Add flour, salt and 0.5 oz reserved lemon juice and mix 10 sec/speed 4. Scrape down sides of mixing bowl with spatula and mix a further 10 sec/speed 4. Transfer to cling wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes. Clean and dry mixing bowl.
- Place confectioners sugar, 1.5 oz remaining lemon juice and food coloring into mixing bowl and mix 10 sec/speed 4. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set aside to thicken.
- Preheat oven 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment and set aside.
- Transfer chilled dough to a lightly floured silicone mat, top dough with a sheet of parchment and roll out to ¼ inch thickness. Cut shapes (approx.2-3 in. wide) with a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place onto prepared baking sheets and bake 10-12 minutes (325°F) until slightly golden. Let cool 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Transfer icing to a piping bag and decorate cookies as desired. Allow to dry completely before serving or storing in an airtight container.
KitchenGarden4U – Other features
“Hands down, it’s the Thermomix TM6. It’s the best time-saver in the kitchen. Since it pretty much does the cooking for you and helps you plan ahead, I’m able to whip up something fresh and easy for me and my daughter, yet still get through my list of things to do. Life. Changer.”Thermomix® TM6™ as the “gadget that’s changed her life – Mel Alcantara
From meal planning, to cooking, to clean up, the TM6® is the ultimate kitchen assistant that has your back! You can seamlessly create the perfect meal, every time with this all-in-one solidly built machine called Thermomix® TM6® . For more information on Thermomix TM6 check this page or you could consider starting your own ultimate side gig, healthy eating and making money with home based business based around food and eating healthy including an opportunity of getting your TM6 for free(by referring 4 others). Your choice!
We will be reviewing products and be sure I’m to check our our Product Reviews coming in the near future.
Be sure to check out our SHOP for the latest in online buying opportunities.
What ever combo you choose, Enjoy! and come back to KitchenGarden4u often.
Thanks for visiting.